Flavors of the Southwest and Eastern Europe combine in this unique recipe to boast an amazingly sumptuous sandwich. My recipe for this Grilled Chicken Quesadilla Sandwich was a Top 10 Winner at the 2014 World Sandwich Championships. While the familiar taste of a Quesadilla make up the base to this dish, they are enhanced by the smokiness of the grill, smoked Chipotle peppers and a rich, yet refreshing Ajvar relish of Red Bell Peppers, Eggplant and Garlic. Toss aside the tortillas and dig in!
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 package Taco Seasoning
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 Ciabatta Buns (sliced in half)
- ½ cup Margarine
- 1 Tbsp. Croix Valley Garlic Barbecue Booster
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- 1 cup Ajvar Relish (Eastern European relish of garlic, peppers and eggplant)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ¼ head Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium Tomato, diced.
- Lightly oil chicken breasts and coast generously with Taco Seasoning.
- Grill chicken over medium grill (about 350⁰F) until internal temperature reaches 165⁰F. Let rest 5 minutes then slice into strips.
- Julienne peppers and onion. Fry in oil until vegetables start to brown. Cover and set aside.
- Make 4 piles of chicken (as flat as possible) on baking sheet. Top with fried vegetables, ½ cup of cheese, a dash of taco seasoning. Transfer to covered grill and cook until cheese begin to brown.
- Combine margarine and garlic seasoning. Blend well.
- Spread margarine garlic mixture on inside of ciabatta buns. Grill until they start to brown.
- Combine sour cream and chipotle in adobo sauce. Blend well.
- Spread Ajvar relish on inside of bottom bun.
- Place chicken/vegetable/cheese stacks on top of Ajvar relish.
- Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomato..
- Spread chipotle mixture on inside of top bun and top off sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 4 sandwiches